The Polish Astronomical Society (PTA), established 1923, is the major organization of professional astronomers in Poland, bringing together about 300 members.
The objectives of the Society are promoting the advancement of the Science of Astronomy and its teaching and encouraging popular interest in Astronomy.This is achieved by means of:
- holding conventions, symposia, scientific meetings
- recognizing outstanding achievements by the award of medals and prizes
- publishing periodicals (e.g., Urania - Postępy Astronomii [Urania - Advances in Astronomy], which is one of the oldest in the world among popular astronomy magazines)
- evaluating the state and needs of the Polish astronomy
- collaborating with affined organizations in Poland and abroad